Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 January 2011

Look, but don't stare.

I'm staring across the nightlights of this vast city, seeing no signs of motion, just a faint blur or a flicker of life. It's only 7.30pm, but it feels more like midnight. I stare, and don't pay attention to anything, the vibration of the phone, the hum and bass thudding away from some metal band in my background.

I see nothing at all except silence. Peace, and no noise. Then, equilibrium is interrupted. My zen, set back, I fall back on the side of the bed, and try to concentrate on what day it is, what year it is, and where I am. I'm here. But where's here? What difference does it make? I keep on throwing questions to caution myself, but in the end we're all left with no answers, just another blank page.

I can't think. I try to think about thinking, but my mind is a blank, as blank as the mocking pages all lined up in front of me. I once again prepare myself to think, and still, I can't. I need a form of release. Not alcohol, we all know where that ends up. Me talking more than the usual bullshit. I haven't got a desire for drugs, that's the old me, the one i left behind in another country. I need me the sweetest, hottest and most lusicious cup of tea.

I check the fridge, and utter a curse. The milk's near to curdling. I think about throwing it away. But I can't. It's such a waste, to just throw it away. I put it back, think for a second, check the cupboards. Shit. No tea bags. Where the hell are my 80 teab.. Realising I left them behind in a flat just below me, I decide to take a trip. The hallway is dimmer than usual, the lights flicker as if I star inside a horror movie. The corridors are eerie, due to the lack of noise and tenants. It's odd that I miss the shitty pop being played next door.

Now, as I descend down these long corridors, I notice one thing. There's no warmth. No sign of heat. It's dead cold, as cold as a fresh corpse inside a morgue, I don't feel it untill I get to the elevators. The elevator takes a century to come up. I hear the gears, grinding away as the 5 inch thick cable pulls its empty shell towards the 4th floor.

As the doors open, I look behind me. It's weird. Something's not right now. The lights aren't on on 4th. I step in, I try not to think about it, and press the button, making my way to 3rd. I wait for a second, the it stops. I laugh nervously, and the door opens. It doesn't open on 3rd though. I must've pressed the wrong button, and press 3 once more (I'm sure I did, but what the hell) and then it opens again. On 4th floor.

I get out, and as I do, the doors snap shut. My right thumb could've been taken from me, and I jump away from it. I'm freaked out. I realise the light above me is starting to dim. I'm not liking this one bit, so I take the stairs. I seem to be doing fine, but as soon as I get down to first, I see there is no 1st floor. The doors just don't exist. I don't know what to do, and as I look up I see something.

No comments:

Post a Comment